| University List | FAQ |
Every year hundreds of international students rely on Scholarships awarded by the British Government to help them study in the UK. Whilst competition is fierce for certain scholarships, as long as students are eligible – subject to the set criteria – the British council encourages them to apply.
UK studies offer good value for money for international students. It speaks of a high quality of teaching and world-renowned education.
There is a strong competition for scholarships and grants to study in the UK. Most grant-making organizations would want you to meet strict criteria. Your application is bound to get rejected if you fail to meet all the criteria.
While applying for a grant, keep in mind that
- You should apply for your grant at least a year before the beginning of your course. Also you should be aware of the deadlines before applying;
- Your application should be clear and concise and prefer using the grant-making body?s application form, if it has one;
- Only small amounts of money shall be given by the majority of the grant-making bodies. This amount will not cover the full cost of a course.
The UK government will help you find funding for your chosen course through its own scholarship schemes. Many scholarships only cover postgraduate degrees; others cover courses fees for specific subjects; while some are only available for specific institutions.
SCHOLARSHIPS MANAGED BY THE BRITISH COUNCIL
- British Chevening Scholarships – The Chevening Gurukul Scholarship on Leadership and Public Policy at the London School of Economics, the flagship British Government scholarship scheme in India is open for applications. The Chevening Gurukul Scholarship offers an intense, all-expenses-paid, 12-week course at one of the world?s best universities. If you are the best in your field then this could be the chance to accelerate your path to the top. Get details. Last date of applications is 20 January 2010.
- The Dr Manmohan Singh Scholarships 2010 announed- For Doctoral Studies at St. John’s College, University of Cambridge, UK. For research aspirants with outstanding academic and leadership credentials. Last date of submission of applications Tuesday, 15 December 2009.
- The Scotland Saltire Scholarships Gain an internationally recognised qualification and take your career to new heights. Scotland has 50 prestigious scholarship awards worth GBP 2000 each for postgraduate students from India. Applications are open for 2010
- Commonwealth Scholarships and Fellowships 2010 – This annual scheme, made available by the Commonwealth Scholarships Commission, provides a wide variety of scholarship and fellowship programmes. Download more information here. The Scholarship is closed for applications for 2010
- Charles Wallace India Trust – If you’re interested in arts and humanities and would like to study, undertake research or gain professional experience in the UK, the Charles Wallace India Trust can help. Read details.
- The Sir Ratan Tata Scholarships 2009: For study in the UK in the broad field of Development Studies, with special focus on Development Economics and Science & Technology Studies. Applications are closed for 2009.
- The De Souza-Trust Goa Scholarship aims to provides opportunities for dynamic young men and women of Goan origin who have demonstrated academic excellence and extra curricular achievements to study or train in the UK.